Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tasty Treats

Like nearly everybody else, I'm fairly picky about what treats to give to Ray.  I mean, he has an extensive treat bar on the counter and so far I've not found him to be allergic to anything but with the huge number of incidents from bad treats, I try to be careful about what he eats.  Most recently I tried this recipe that I found  at Doggie Dessert Chefs.





Ingredients
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1 teaspoon Honey
1 cup Tapioca Flour  Brown Rice Flour
1/4 cup Water
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
In a large bowl combine all ingredients until well mixed.
Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with the a small sized cutter of your choice, as the dough tears easily. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate.


When I realized they probably wouldn't rise, I went ahead and squished a bunch more on the cookie sheet so I baked the entire recipe at one time.  Of course, I tasted one and found that they are kind of dry but very peanut buttery.  I think the rice flour, which is kind of the consistency of very fine sand makes for a sandy textured cookie treat.  The next time I might try to incorporate apple sauce instead of the water and see what happens.  I will also use a much smaller cookie cutter.  This one was about 4" long and I feel that with the crumbly-ness (?) of the treat it would be better as a rounder, smaller shape.

The bottom line is that Ray loves them,they're healthy and easy to make. 

7 comments:

  1. Tess & Ed love homemade treats. We will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing more dog recipes. I tried cooking for them over winter break, but mine didn't turn out as pretty. Miss M thinks I need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooo!!! Sounds good! I will have to try making these for Athena! Thanks for sharing the recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks good. Cocco would love those :-)

    Oink oink,
    Katie and Coccolino the mini pig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum yum! These cookies sound delicious! Ray is awfully lucky to get such tasty homemade treats :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10